This is a rant post. ICSE students will remember that character sketch is an important constituent of project work in English. After all these years, I am going to try describing the character of friend.
Ally is a more apt word in today`s world. Let me recount the nature of allies I have had since my childhood.
Primary school: I was more of a victim rather than a bully. So my co-victims befriended me and we sought solace in our weakness. The grudge towards our violators united us.
Secondary school: I was exceptional in studies.The friends I developed during this period were those who would discuss for hours (in my presence) on whether I would stand first in the class or not. They would feed my ego through subtle praises and I would reciprocate by doing most of their project work and helping them in exam preparations.
University: I sucked in technical subjects. I was good at humanities though. Most of my time was spent watching movies or playing games. My friends in this phase are:
1. Those who got good scores and did not want to be tagged as “loners.”. Being with me was equivalent to having a life, lol. People who could not find the time to accompany me to the theaters would watch the movies on their PCs and crow to the entire world on facebook lest others might think they were working on the assignment due next week.
2. Those who detested the people in 1 and wanted to cover up their mediocre performances with the line “I have a life which you don`t.” It would not be a complete mistake to think I belong to this set of people.
I don`t have much to write about this phase as I was not in any job for over 9 months.
Combining all these phases, I come up with this description of a friend.
1. One who either looks up to you to subjugate his self to or takes a condescending attitude to feed his pride.
2. If not 1, he considers you to be his equal and asks for help/assists you in bringing down a strong person/ further humiliating a weakling.
3. One who finds you a sharer of his grudge or misfortune.
Is there anything which you can`t do for yourself but which your friend can do?
Of course, you can`t send a “happy birthday” sms to your mobile from your mobile.
*END OF RANT